Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » North East Dragway Forums » Off Topic

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:48 pm 

I go to Jolliff United Methodist Church in Chesapeake, Virginia. I was startled this weekend when my youth group leader told us some of the statistics of world hunger. Many americans have no idea how bad off it really is.

Every year 15 million children die of hunger-think about how many children that really is.

Nearly one in four people live on less than $1 per day, while the world's 358 billionaires have assets exceeding the combined annual incomes of countries with 45 percent of the world's people. -UNICEF; could you live on $1? I know i couldn't.

One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.-that's a lot of hungry children.

Malnutrition is implicated in more than half of all child deaths worldwide - a proportion unmatched by any infectious disease since the Black Death..the worst part is this can be fixed.

To satisfy the world's sanitation and food requirements would cost only US$13 billion- what the people of the United States and the European Union spend on perfume each year.

Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger..that means alot have died since you read the first line of this.

I know many people have their own stresses at the moment but i know i'm going to start helping as much as i can. My youth group is starting some projects. We are going to try to make an impact..it may not seem like much at the moment but we all know every little bit helps. There's a website called www.freerice.com you answer questions and for every question you get right they give 10 grains of rice to hungry children. Try answering questions in your free time and if you want to give more directly contact me or send a penny to my home address. One of our projects is going be to collect 1,000,000 penny's to show how many people that really is. After collected all the penny's will go toward feeding people. More then 1,000,000 people die per month from hunger and i think they only way to truely know how many people that is, is to see it in something like penny's. Some of our youth group is going to start collecting redeemable cans and any money we make will go toward helping as many people as possible. We also are looking for more idea's in how to help with this issue if you have any let me know! If you can't contribute i completly understand but seriously consider the freerice.com thing. The racing community has always been the best in helping out one another..maybe this will be eye opening for others as it was for me.
If you have any extra penny's or money to go toward this message me and i'll give you the church address. Thanks, Michelle Edwards

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 am 

That's a good idea and your heart is in the right place. But it bothers me every time I see one of those commercials on those children and the man says you can Feed Cloth Educate a child for 75 cents a day. If we can do that why can't it be done in our own country. Just wondering. I feel sorry for these children with lazy parents or have been abandoned. I am willing to help you guys out . May not be much but its something and if we all did something it would make a huge difference. Just think if we all just donated all our change. Most have hundreds if not thousands in change. Been saving mine for years. I'm willing depart of it. I only have a silver dollar that means something to me. The rest is just in the way to be honest

Board index » North East Dragway Forums » Off Topic