Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » North East Dragway Forums » Off Topic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:55 pm 

as said before, Neons are notorious for leaking head gaskets. all the ones that i have done never needed the block decked, the two things that I have found after going back in after someone is that they didn't clean out the head bolt holes and they were full of oil before installing the head bolts. the other issue was not replacing the head bolts. since they are a stretch style bolt look for necking. I have reused head bolts both on the 2.0 and 2.4 with no issues but in either case i always give it another 10-15 degrees on my final torque.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:30 pm 

Chapter 13 i forgot about the head bolts on the neons. i just replaced the bolts good point Chapter 13

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 pm 

Thanks for all the replies. Even though I have said I check all the things listed before asking for help, I have gone back and rechecked ALL suggestions. I cleaned out the bolt holes several times before installing the head with a new 3 piece head gasket and new head bolts. I also used the step process for torquing the bolts before turning them 90 degrees for the final turn. I didn't have the block deck, just the head squared up. At idle, when I pull the pvc valve out of the valve cover, I hear air being sucked in through the pcv valve. That means the hose is not clogged up, right? What else can I do to check the pvc system? The car is running good (34 mpg last weekend), no over heating or missing problems, just the oil leak.

Keep your fork

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:37 pm 

maybe a oil plug that was taken out when the head was shaved or maybe oil sender i can't recall if you checked that. but i could be wrong you problem did. i'll look on the computer at work tomorrow.

Last edited by repoman on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 pm 

The oil level on the dip stick keeps getting lower and I have to add more oil. What else could it be?

repoman wrote:
are you shore its motor oil

Keep your fork

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:14 am 

i don't know if i can help you or not but going to give you all the info i can

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 am 

I REALLY APPRECIATE all suggestions on how to find/stop the oil leak.

repoman wrote:
i don't know if i can help you or not but going to give you all the info i can

Keep your fork

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:29 pm 

I could not find anything else that it mite be causing your oil leak. The only thing left to do is to use oil dye and a black light. please let me know what you find. O by the way put the dye in run engine for 15 minutes to make sure it is mixed good and then drive for about 15 miles GOOD LUCK!!!!

REPOMAN

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 pm 

There is a plug of some time on top of the oil filter mounting bracket, but I haven't seen any oil leaking there. Where would an oil plug be on the head?

repoman wrote:
maybe a oil plug that was taken out when the head was shaved or maybe oil sender i can't recall if you checked that. but i could be wrong you problem did. i'll look on the computer at work tomorrow.

Keep your fork

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:53 pm 

check where you see oil at it could be behide a bracket and you just can't see it. I can't tell you with out looking at a cyl head where a plug is. sorry

REPOMAN

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » North East Dragway Forums » Off Topic